Friday, May 29, 2009

My Blisters Have Blisters!


For my birthday Bryce put up deer fencing so I could buy and plant some new plants! We had so much fun at the nursery, it was a wonderland. The boys loved all the water fountains and pond. Danny was drenched by the time we left!
Yesterday we put up the deer fence at the top of the hill. Hopefully the retaining wall at the bottom is high enough to deter the deer from the bottom. We planted an avocado tree and I am so happy to have my own avocado tree because I LOVE avocado! We also spent hours trying to weed the hillside and get rid of all the scotch broom, stinging nettle, blackberries and poison oak.
Today Bryce was back to work so it was up to me to put in the rest of the plants. I got some ground covers to help the barren look of the hillside and to train over the edge of the retaining walls. I also got some clematis and star jasmine to train to climb up the walls. Just for fun I also got some catmint and lavender that is pink! We also got a blueberry bush that I am so excited about (we sampled some of the blueberries at the nursery and they are very yummy!) I am also trying some wildflower/butterfly mixes from seeds.
And finally because we are finally in a permanent home I took some of my plants that have been moving around with us in buckets and gave them a home in the ground.
I was going to do some more weeding too but my hands and feet are protesting too much! It was a lot of work but it looks so much nicer outside now! It just doesn't feel like home to me if I don't have pretty flowers :)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Good job! That sounds like it was a lot of work! It's amazing how flowers can make a space that much nicer to be in -- the clematis climbing up the wall will be so beautiful!

Oma and Papa said...

Sounds like lots of hard work, but it will be worth it when all of your plants are in bloom. I remember trying to get you to weed in the yard. It was not easy, there was a lot of protesting.

Love, Mom

J.R. Kay said...

It looks beautiful! good work!

Dera said...

Great job! What fun to play in the dirt and plant flowers and productive plants. I can't wait to see it!