Monday, August 3, 2009

Donner Lake

Each summer my Jukes family has a camp out and it is one of the highlights of my year. This year we camped at Donner Lake. It was beautiful and there was so much to explore, 3 days just was not enough! The days were filled with swimming, canoeing, 4 wheeling, talking, campfires and music. We even had a massive thunder and lightening storm come in right over us one night at midnight, that was amazing! I didn't get any pictures of it because I was too scared to stick my head out of the tent!
The kids had a blast playing with their cousins. A lot of digging was involved and they were constantly filthy. It is all OK though because I know they will have great memories of this trip! As they get older they participate in the campfires and music a lot more which makes it a lot of fun. Even Danny was able to do the "Lion Hunt" this year!
We had a very special marshmallow stick tree in our camp so my Dad harvested quite a few marshmallow sticks. Austin thought this was the best thing ever!

The lake was beautiful and the warm weather made the cold water very inviting. Bryce and I had fun taking the kids out for canoe rides. I think Danny and my little nephew Tyler had the most fun. They loved going over the waves and Tyler did not want the ride to end!
We went and did a little 4 wheel exploring up the mountainside. There were railroad tracks on the mountain side above the camp and trains would go rumbling through all day and night. When we went up the mountainside we found a tunnel that went right under the tracks. We stopped a while to let the kids get out and explore. It was a beautiful and fun little spot.
We stopped up at the very top of the mountain to do some target practice. There were so many wildflowers and butterflies and boulders for the kids to climb on! I got to try out my sister in law, Tanya's, Bersa 380 and I love it! Bryce has been wanting to upgrade me from my .22 for awhile now and I am finally convinced!
The boys had so much 4 wheeling back down the mountain! Just look at those faces!
We had such a wonderful time camping in the Sierras with my wonderful family!

2 comments:

J.R. Kay said...

I wish I could have been there earlier. The pics of the boys 4 wheeling are priceless!

I love your new background too!

Laura said...

What fun! I am jealous! I love camping -- we never made it this Summer :( I'll just live vicariously through your camping trips! :)