Monday, October 5, 2009

Civil War Days, Fresno, CA


(sorry the pictures turned out so small! You can click on them to see them bigger!)

We just returned from a wonderful weekend in Fresno, CA. We were at Kearney Park for the Civil War Days. It used to big, open fields, with a mansion set right in the middle of nowhere. Now it is a beautiful park, full of trees and green grass.

There was so much to see and do, and I really enjoyed it all. We watched a blacksmith make a lantern hook, that stakes into the ground. That was Austin's favorite. We watched artisans spin wool into yarn, weave on a loom and make lace. There was always music being played somewhere; the fiddle, the drums, the bugle, the fife, which made for a fun atomsphere. We listened to 2 ladies from Ebony Verses, who were portraying Harriet Tubman and Sorjourner Truth, sing some of the songs that the slaves would use to pass along coded messages about escape. That was my favorite part. Their voices were so beautiful! We also toured the mansion. It was built in 1903 and still had so much of the original furniture, wall paper and paintings. It was lovely.

Bryce and I had an actual tintype taken of us. It was fun to watch the process. It took about 10 minutes to prepare and take the photo. We had to hold still for about 5 seconds, so that wasn't too bad. It then took another 45 minutes to finish processesing and dry. It is quite an art form!

Danny loved to play in the trees, which I loved because it kept him busy and close to the camp! He also loved to follow the big boys around and try and play battle with them. It was very cute but someone needs to teach that boys how to hold a rifle!
Austin was very busy running wild with his friends, and traing with the cadets. But by Sunday afternoon, he had come down with a fever and all he wanted to do was sleep. Poor guy, but it did allow me to get an amazing shot of him.
Bryce was finally able to get his musket, and it made him a very happy boy! The stock is walnut and very beautiful but I didn't think to get a close up shot of it. I am sure will have me rectify that soon!
The pics of me are kind of random. The first one, I was just loving the evening sunlight, and the second one I was just messing around in the tent.

Here are some more random pics. The first is of the flags at day break. The next is of the park at sunset. Then the camp ground at night under a beautiful moon. And finally some lanterns. I love the magical glow that the lanterns give to the campground at night!

2 comments:

Summer said...

Oh, I love those pictures! Especially the one of you and Bryce. It reminds me of the movie Cold Mountain - you look just like Nicole Kidman did in that film!!

Laura said...

Wow. Once again, such amazing pics! And such a neat experience. I LOVE the tin type of you and Bryce. SO authentic! I like his facial hair -- gives him the total look! You look beautiful in your dress! And, as always, such cute boys!