Wednesday, July 15, 2009

San Francisco Adventures

Well we were supposed to go to the Academy of Science in San Francisco today because it was free admission. I was so excited! I knew it would be crowded but I was willing to brave it. That is until we tried to get anywhere near the academy. The streets everywhere around it were absolutely packed and the parking garages were full. I started to realize that all those cars had several passengers, at least, and that equals an insane number of people. So after spending 45 minutes just sitting in traffic to get around the academy I decided to implement plan B. On the way in to SF I noticed a sign for the zoo so that became plan B! It turned out to be a great plan! It wasn't crowded at all and the cost of admission and parking was only a little more than what I planned on paying for parking garage fees.
The zoo was beautiful and had a very open feel to it. I enjoyed being able to get unobstructed views of the animals. All of the animals were out and mostly active. We even got to hear one of the lions roar!
Making wishes
A close encounter with a grizzly!
Me and my cubs!
Grrrrrrr!
Danny showing me the train.
Exploring
At the farm
Danny's favorite animal of the day - the goats!
After the zoo, I wanted Austin to see the Golden Gate bridge. Danny was completely zonked out so I decided to just drive up the coast until I found a spot we could see the bridge from the car.
We stumbled upon Fort Miley where we found a view of the bridge and a memorial site for the soldiers who died during the battle for Guadal Canal onboard the USS San Francisco. Part of the memorial is a piece of the original bridge of the ship, which still has the damage from the scrapnel. Luckily we could park right next to it so we could explore a little while Danny slept on. We managed to even make it back out of SF before the evening commute started!

4 comments:

tanya said...

What a fun day! How far is that zoo from your house? I want to go there someday when we come down.

Laura said...

Looks so fun- Crazy about the academy and not being able to even park!

J.R. Kay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.R. Kay said...

How fun! I've never been to the SF zoo!